Music is What Feelings Sound Like...
Musicians have the unique ability to take elements of human nature and transform them into notes. Whether you prefer classical, rock, rap, jazz or country - SMCC can assist you in finding your voice.
Musicians are skilled in a variety of musical techniques and undertand the dynamics of several types of instruments. They perform, compose, conduct, arrange, and teach music - it is a part of their soul.
Although many musicians work alone or as part of a group., they often perform before live audiences or on television or radio and compose for films. Computer and electronic technology is increasingly used in the creation and composition of music.
- For a listing of classes available during each semester, visit:
- Competition for musician jobs is aggressive - talented individuals who can play several instruments and perform a wide range of musical styles should enjoy the best job prospects.
- About 2.4 billion CDs are sold annually.
- The number of recorded CDs and blank CDs sold has historically been equivalent.
- The concertmaster of an orchestra is always the person who sits in the first chair of the first violins.
- About one-third of recorded CDs are pirated.
- The British are the highest per capita spenders on music and purchase 7.2% of the world music market.
- Composers write original music for instruments, voice, or both.
- Arrangers and orchestrators take a composer’s work and transcribe it for various orchestra sections or individuals to perform. They often prepare music for films, theatre, television, or recordings.
- Songwriters create the lyrics and/or music of songs.
(Sources: Professor Pooch, CNN)